Welcome to the Blog

Welcome to the (we)b-log!
Thanks for following along!
If you haven't already, visit the site: paddletheicw.com

HERE IS A PERMANENT LINK FOR PHOTOS




____________________________________________

5.15.08


I finally got going yesterday around 4pm. I got advice from a local that the Wappoo Cut is tricky to navigate but I was able to time it just right because the tide was on my side and the wind was on my back which got me cruising at 9 miles an hour, double what I can do normally, it felt amazing. On the way, I came upon some dolphins that were “getting it on” and they seemed kind of upset that I interrupted them that one even went so far as to splash me. After finishing the 12 or so miles to Charleston from Adam’s on Johns Island, I was able to dock my boat in the Charleston city marina amongst the big yachts. My family friend Laura and her fiancĂ© Scott were nice enough to meet me and pick me up. I got another night’s sleep under a roof which I am clearly happy about. Thanks Laura and Scott! This morning, I had coffee and cake samples (their wedding is 13 days away) Sugary goodness and caffeine were a great way to start off my day. I am looking for a place to camp tonight on Capers Island. I have heard you need a permit to camp; I think I will be fine though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seth,
Thanks for the account of the romantic escapades of the dolphins.

Anonymous said...

I was very thrilled to stumble on to your blog. You are living a dream I have had for some time now but which I am not likely to be able to fulfill for a few years.I spend a lot of spare time on the internet looking for info on trips like the one you are doing and others. I followed margo's trip last year with interest. I am New Zealand kayaker with two daughters living in the States, one in NY and one in Ga and we have been frequent visitors over the years. I did the Great Hudson river paddle last year and have done a 2 week coastal trip in NZ I am keen to test myself on a long distance solo paddle in NZ b/4 attempting one in the States. I have a question for you. I noticed that both you and Margo did the trip from South to North. Was there a particular reason for this? Is it because this is the direction the snowbirders are heading in at this time of year/ Would be too much more difficult to do it in the other direction?
All the best for the rest of the trip. I will be checking in frquently from now on