Welcome to the Blog

Welcome to the (we)b-log!
Thanks for following along!
If you haven't already, visit the site: paddletheicw.com

HERE IS A PERMANENT LINK FOR PHOTOS




____________________________________________

If you've been wondering what I've been up to.....

I hope no one has been worried about me; I haven't drowned. Actually, I'm safe and sound here on beautiful Hilton Head - my old stomping grounds. Since I arrived on Thursday I have engaged in a stress free regiment of sleeping in, reading, eating and visiting with friends trying to relax and let my body recover. My sore left shoulder has really seemed to benefit from a couple continuous days off. I've set around the pool, I've gotten caught up on playoff hockey/basketball, and I've regained 8 pounds since I pulled in: its been a little vacation within a vacation.

BUT....The second half(ish) of this adventure is set to begin! It took 31 days to paddle the 556 miles from Key Biscayne to HHI and there are now 564 miles left on the ICW until its northern terminus at Norfolk, VA. Now, of course, after that I'll have to figure out how to navigate the Chesapeake Bay (which I haven't thought about at all yet), and there's the fact that I've actually done about 30 miles more then the waterway's length up to this point bc of my failed shortcuts, but I'm disregarding all of that because I like the notion of this nice break conveniently being right in the middle. Either way, I know I won't take another extended break like this. Pretty much since day 2 I had my sights set on HHI, knowing that if I could make it here I would be able to catch my breath, reassess, and that it would signify success in being able to reach the goal of Baltimore. I've also been able to take this time to get some small boat projects done - the critical ones anyhow. I fixed my thigh support padding, smoothed and waxed the hull, and made some more adjustments to the seat back supports. I abandoned what I decided was frivolous plans to attach cleats and install a fishing rod holder - I just don't think I would ever even take the time to fish when I could be paddling and its just another piece of equipment to care for and break. The most important project, repairing my good paddle's ferrule, was a huge success. I'm glad I wont have to use my spare paddle any more (btw the ferrule is the middle of the shaft, where the two pieces attach).

So tomorrow I'll be hoping back in my boat and leaving HHI behind as I head for Beufort. I'll be honest, I am pretty anxious about starting again. I think the second half of the water is going to be a lot different and that uncertainty has me feeling a little apprehensive. Part of it is that I've spoiled myself while I've been here on the island and its going to be tough to give it all up again. When I started in FL I was naive to a lot of the process and how hard days (c/w)ould be but now that I do know its tough to be excited for that. Then again, Miami doesn't seem like that long ago or that far away so I know its just a little case of butterflies. Plus all I have to do is remember how much fun I have been having and maintain the feeling of how fortunate I am that I get to do this at all. So tomorrow will be the day. If you're reading this and are in the HHI/Bluffton area and want to come out and paddle with me, well that would just be great.


I want to officially thank everyone again and who helped this first month. I've gotten tons of support through this first stretch which is the only reason I was even able to make it here to HHI at all. I don't want to leave anybody out so I'm reluctant to mention names but....
THANKS TO:
Wayne, Devin and Dienna, Bob & Allison Smith, Gracie and Zach, Ed & Edna, everyone at OHH, Whittney, Sari, Steve Cox, Brian Harder, Jack Anderson, Margo, LiveOac and everyone in my family particularly Jim&Becky, Barbie&Hudson, my brother, RACHEL, and mom & dad. THANKS GUYS, I owe you all one (or three or four). This list is totally incomplete btw, this is just a smidgen of the people who have been so generous to me.

And sorry for my absence in posting all week but the blog will resume a regular schedule tomorrow as the paddling continues. I hope I haven't lost any readers: you can't afford to when you only have a handful.

Also, in honor of the tight primary contest going on answer the new "exit poll."

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're safe and sound! You're going to have a complete blast the rest of the way. Everyone tells me that Georgia is the worst section of the ICW, and it's behind you now. Chesapeake, schmesapeake. Watch out for the snakes!

Unknown said...

Bishop,
Sorry I missed you this morning on your way out. It was great to see you and know you're going to finish your journey. Thanks for sharing your cooking prowess with all of us at Mark and Corinnes, it was great sauce.