Welcome to the Blog

Welcome to the (we)b-log!
Thanks for following along!
If you haven't already, visit the site: paddletheicw.com

HERE IS A PERMANENT LINK FOR PHOTOS




____________________________________________

Last night in SC?

I left Georgetown and I guess I was a little naïve, I made 30 miles in 6 hours the day before and figured I could replicate that or at least close to that. I had a marina in range about 28 miles north of Georgetown (Bucks Port) and they were going to let me camp there. I didn’t get a real early start, woke up and had breakfast at the town diner. Once I got out there, I was hardly moving, it took me abut 3 hours to go the first 8 miles or so, I had the conditions working against me. It was pretty choppy and when you are down in the troughs between the waves you are not moving at all. Then, it started raining a storm came my direction I paddled in the rain and then I realized it was time for me to get off the water, I pulled into a place called Reserve Harbor, they were very nice to let me tie up and get out o the rain but it was a private marina gated community having two wedding rehearsals that night. They called me a cab and I had to get a hotel room for the night. Change of plans, but at least I was safe. I took the situation and tried to have ea little fun, it was Friday night, not that far from myrtle beach so I got tipped off to go to be SBB which stands for suck, burn, blow. It was a biker bar. Suck burn blow is what an engine does, they were having a hug rally, and there were police all over the street, thousands of bikers and bikes. Check out some of the pics. The next day, Sat I finished my trek to where I was trying to get to the night before Bucks Port. Sat was so nice. I really enjoyed the day on the water; it’s very unique in this section with the cypress trees and the huge osprey population. The dark water is different then what I have been paddling through so far. It seems like half of these cypress tress have big osprey nests in them. As I paddle along, the osprey think I am coming after them, so they come out of their nests and fly right over my head. It’s the same routine all day long. Everything about Saturday was great, but the highlight was my sandwich that I picked up at the deli before I left was awesome and it was very nice to enjoy on the water. I got to Bucks Port just in time to watch Preakness. After I had a little dinner, I got back in my boat and paddled to a boat to hang out with some folks who were traveling down to Georgetown. Sunday, I took the day off today, I needed it, and I didn’t feel too great when I woke up. I met the Masfield family from Burlington, Vermont, they were nice enough to buy me lunch. I really enjoyed talking with them about Burlington etc. Later in the day, I met up with a guy named Wayne Williams who is on a two week trip or so in his 27 foot sailboat, we talked all afternoon and shared some stories and beers.
It’s about 7am now on Monday morning and I am looking to get on the water by 8 or 8:30 after a quick bite with Wayne. I hope to paddle about 30 miles today to Dock Hollys Marina.

No comments: