Welcome to the Blog

Welcome to the (we)b-log!
Thanks for following along!
If you haven't already, visit the site: paddletheicw.com

HERE IS A PERMANENT LINK FOR PHOTOS




____________________________________________

So Close...4/30

HERE'S THE MOST CURRENT LOCATION LINK: AFTER I BROADCAST THIS I PADDLED TO AND LANDED INBETWEEN THE 2 GOLF COURSES ON DAUFUSKIE ISLAND (I'M NOT STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WATER)

So I'm here on Daufuskie Island, just across from Hilton Head. I left Skiddaway right at 10 and despite what I said just the other day I started paddling out towards the ocean. I had talked the night before to Captian Joe who runs charters out of Delegal Creek and together we had decided that if the conditions were right it might be worthwhile to jump back out into the ocean to cut off some more miles. When I got out into the ocean it was a little choppier then I had expected but nothing like Monday it the waves were more of an annoyance then a concern. Although there was a north east wind it wasn't to strong and the breeze felt good. I had a real tough time getting around the side of Tybee Island, there must have been a pretty strong current wipping around the beach coming out of the Savanah River but once I turned the corner I was able to cross the shipping channel and some open water to get over to Daufuskie. I didn't land here till after 6 and the tide was starting to come out of Callibouge quick so I knew there was no way I could make it to where I wanted to at Shelter Cove Marina at the end of Broad Creek. I'm worn out. I pulled my boat up to Roger Pickney's house and am staying with a friend, Jack Anderson, who was nice enough to put me up at his art gallery . Tomorrow I cross to HHI!

Today's ocean venture was a just about 20 miles compared to over 30 if I had gone the "back way." What I realized today that I really should I have thought about a long time ago is that a mile on the waterway and a mile in the ocean are not the same. Its not apples and apples. Either way, it paid off again. I'm like 3 for 3 on my last couple shortcuts.

Its nine o'clock and I'm about to crash. I'll leave at low tide tomorrow at 11 and hopefully ride the incoming all the way to my marina. I would love a nice "lazy river" day.

Seth

NOTE: theres a new picture I put up of my first view of HHI when I rounded Tybee. You can't tell its HHI at all but I could and it was a fantastic sight. I'm too tired to link it or put in in the body of this post, but don't you be lazy too.....click the link at the top of the page and check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see any Lemurs on St. Catherine's? Glad to see you survived the Sounds and your coastal expeditions. Watch out for the gators in the stretch from Charleston to Pawley's Island (sp). There's an awesome little campground after Charleston, think it might be Buck Hall. From Buck Hall to Winyah Bay you'll have more chances to see those gators! I saw Lake Placid, too! That opening scene will forever be etched in my brain.....yuck......

Why don't you add 200 miles to your trip, forgo Baltimore, go along the Delmarva Penninsula (by the barrier islands there), and paddle to NYC? There are people in that stretch that would love to paddle with you.

Anonymous said...

Seth I hope you get this. your greatgrandmother is following your web site of your trip. se say's that you better be careful and she is keeping you in her prayers.Love you very much memaw